Monday, August 31, 2009

Before & After: Cabinet

I was sick and tired of looking at the faux wood finished cabinet in our office space, so I decided to do something about.
Rather than buy something new, I decided on a DIY upgrade. Saturday morning we headed to Home Depot and picked up the necessary supplies for my endeavor:
  • paint (2 colors)
  • paint brush
  • steel wool
  • knobs
I knew that Eric would being spending most of Sunday hovered over his computer and his latest batch of cases (his homework) for class, so I was happy to have a project. It should be no surprise that I took pictures as I worked:

I did all that with only 1 accident (spilled 1/2 a can of paint, but that's why I used the HUGE tarp, covered the couch with a sheet, and the TV area with an old towel). After letting the pain dry over night, I filled our cabinet back up this morning. Ta da:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's not perfect, though. I don't think the steel wool phase was as effective as I expected, and I'm guessing the paint will come off easily if scratched. We'll have to be careful, but I'm much happier with how the room looks and we didn't spend much money at all. I turned an existing piece of cheap-o furniture into something that looks (I think) a little more sophisticated and actually fits our tastes. Yay! I'm so pleased with myself. :)

3 comments:

gramma said...

The Amazin' April - and I ain't foolin'

BMay said...

oooh looks purty- fyi water-based paint is vulnerable to everything until it is all the way dry- several days and it will get way more durable
love this project!

little miss spy said...

thanks for the tip mom. and for all the help on the phone before i started! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails