Friday, July 24, 2009

Extended Stay In CA

As I mentioned earlier, we extended our stay in CA in order to spend some time with Kristen, one of my closest friends.

She and her parents (Bill & Judy - we spent the afternoon with them on Thursday) were staying at her Gramma's, across the bridge in Belvedere. I'm not the only one who wanted to see her, and a bunch of her family members were going to congregate at her Gramma's. Monday morning, her cousins Kate (an actress living in LA) and Hannah (we spent the day with her on Friday) picked us up so that we could also join in the fun!

I don't know how to describe the day to you. It was great and feels sort of like a dream. I still can't believe everything worked out so well.

Kristen and her cousins are very similar in some regards. It's probably most noticable in the way that they talk. They all have a very unique way of stressing certain words. It's pretty hilarious when they're all together. Everybody kept saying that Eric was such a trooper for haging out with 4 girls all day, but it was a great time. Seriously. We laughed all day!

It was fun listening Kristen and her cousins talk and just catching up on life. I also enjoyed talking to her parents, aunts and uncles, and gramma. Eric spent time talking to the grown ups too.

In the morning we had bagels and sat outside soaking up the sun. There wasn't as much of a breeze as there is in San Francisco, so it felt much warmer. We also went for a walk into Tiburon.

I'm sad it was such a short visit, but I can't complain. I really can't believe we got to see her at all!

Kate made this little video of all of us hanging out (so unfortunately she's not in it).

Are you wondering how and why Kristen unexpectedly showed up in CA? Her husband is in the Air Force. When you're a member (or family member) you get the opportunity to hop along on flights that have extra room. It's like flying stand-by so you aren't guaranteed a spot, and she tried to get on one for father's day but there were people ahead of her in line and not enough seats. But this time, she was at the top of the list and was able to catch a ride.

It wasn't a normal, comfortable flight at all. It was a cargo plane and apparently it was very loud and cold. It flew from Japan to Seattle, and it took 10 hours. I can't remember the exact hours, but they left Japan at like 11 am Sunday and arrived in the states at 6 am Sunday because of the time difference. It's like she went back in time, isn't that crazy? That night she took a commercial flight from Seattle to San Francisco.

At this point, I think she's already headed back to Japan. I'm pretty sure she left Wednesday. Isn't that wacky?

I still have one more day to tell you about, but I'll save it for another post.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Looks like you had such a nice day together! Really wish I could have been there.


Related Posts with Thumbnails