Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Break {Part 1}

Last week was Eric's spring break. It was great having him home for the first part of the week, and I took some time off for the second half so I could have a mini-break, too. Our HBS friends, Brooke + Mike, picked us up on Thursday in the early afternoon, and the four of us headed off to catch the boat to Martha's Vineyard.

island home

brooke + mike

As we approached the island, it looked so different. We're used to seeing it with tons of green leaves and boats all around us in the water. It was a little strange, but that's why it's still the off season. The weather was almost too good to be true! It was just glorious (all weekend).

vineyard haven from the ferry

It was their first time visiting, so everything from parking for the ferry to visiting the shops on the island was exciting for them (and for us too, because it's just such a wonderful experience). We got there late in the afternoon, so we didn't do too much besides get groceries for the long weekend before grabbing dinner at Offshore Ale. As we drove to the restaurant, the sun was setting in a spectacular display.

firey sunset

Afterwards we played games and chatted and just relaxed, in the way that feels so right when you're on the Vineyard.

Friday morning I woke up bright and early to get some exercise in before we started our day. Then I got everybody to go for a quick mile run to the West Chop Lighthouse and a 2 mile walk to finish the loop back home. Since it was Brooke + Mike's first time visiting, we had a lot to show them. First we set off to see the gingerbread houses in Oak Bluffs.

house of hearts

Then we drove to Edgartown where we walked around for a bit and visited their Lighthouse.

edgartown lighthouse

Then we drove across the island to Gay Head (aka Aquinnah) to check out the view and another lighthouse (3 lighthouses in one day!).

clay cliffs

After that we went home. And then we realized that I was severely dehydrated. I'm not exaggerating; I got pretty sick. I'll spare you the details, but I drank a ton of water and then made a pretty speedy recovery after a few hours of total misery. I was even able to join everybody for dinner at the Black Dog Tavern - a first for me! That place is usually too crowded for us to visit, so I was excited for a chance to check it out!

Soon I'll share pictures from the rest of our trip!

4 comments:

BrightEyedCutie said...

Beautiful photos! There is NOTHING like your first Vineyard experience!
I miss the Vineyard with you guys ;o)

p.s. I'm glad you had a speedy recovery from your dehydration... the nausea/headache from that can be torture!

Brooke said...

I have a FANTASTIC photo of you and Eric. Don't let me forget to get it to you!

Jamie said...

I adore lighthouses... These pics are great!

Sara said...

That 4th photo is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! LOVE IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails