Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Word Recognition

When I saw this sign at Jim's Package store, I was very confused. This is how I read the sign:
15 minute parking
Jim's Package only
Viola tors will be
ticketed &/or towed
According to the National Institute for Literacy, "Word recognition is the ability of a reader to recognize written words correctly and virtually effortlessly." Well I effortlessly saw my friend's name (Viola) in this warning! The space between the "a" and the "t" is just big enough that I saw two words instead of one. Honestly, I was really excited to see a name written on a wall and that's the only reason I read the sign at all. Since the lettering is white on yellow, it's not especially noticeable. I was wondering why Jim's Package store would have a sign about a woman named Viola. I guess they wouldn't. Haha.

Plus, my mind automatically filled in the missing "a" in "Packge" [sic].

I believe there's a saying that goes something like you only see what you want to see.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails