Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Store Closing + Watching Fireworks

It's been a whole week since I last posted, because I have been helping my mom. On June 30, she closed her store in downtown North Adams. It has been really hard work. Everything that wasn't sold in the going-out-of-business sale had to be moved. To our dining room and front porch. And from there to a suitable place for either usage or storage. This includes everything from merchandise to shelving units.


The final days in the store were really sad. For 13 years, my mom worked to create beautiful shop. It was unnerving to see it gutted as we hauled garbage bag after garbage bag to the dumpster and box after box to the car. It will take some serious time to sort through everything we brought home, but the past few days we've made major progress. It's been a challenge, both physically and emotionally, but now it's time for a new chapter. I'm looking forward to what comes next, and I think my mom is too.


I'm happy that my jobs are flexible enough to allow me to be here to help. It's been great to spend time with my family, and I've even been able to relax a bit between the organizing and heavy lifting. On Sunday night I went to watch the North Adams fireworks with my dad. The last time I saw them here was 2005, and they are just as awesome as I remember. 1) We pretty much sit right where they shoot them from (ash falls on our heads), so we have a perfect view and full sound effects. 2) North Adams is in a valley, so the sound effects I mentioned are really like 3 times more awesome than you're thinking because the sound bounces off the mountains on all sides. I don't just like to see and hear fireworks, I like to feel them. And in North Adams, we do. I took the above picture as fireworks exploded overhead, illuminating the crowd in red light for just a moment.

I will share pictures of the fireworks soonish. How did you celebrate America's 234th birthday?

1 comment:

Young Jones said...

I know what it feels like after 15 years in business we had to close two stores in the Detroit, Michigan area. Yes it's sad

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails